These days when we see a woman chasing after a man, we call her ‘Jezebel.’ Although that is one characteristic, there is so much more to this spirit. The Jezebel Spirit is also characterized by manipulation and control and can exist within a man or woman. Any spirit that is not of God is of the devil.
We need to be able to recognise the jezebel spirit, recognise, flee and pray.
#desperation #manipulation #spiritoflust #thejezebelspirit
Letter to the Churches:
In Revelation 2 v 20 Jesus is speaking to The Corrupt Church:
“Nevertheless I have a few things against you, because you allow that woman Jezebel who calls herself a prophetess, to teach and seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols.”
In this Scripture, we see that God isn’t actually talking to Jezebel; He’s talking to the church! God is saying, “YOU ALLOW HER.” God is holding the church accountable for harbouring this spirit. It’s time for the church of Jesus Christ to rise up and take dominion.
Recognising the Jezebel Spirit:
When I read the story of Joseph in Genesis 39, I can see it all – desperation, manipulation and the spirit of lust #thejezebelspirit
Joseph was a man of God. God spoke to Him through visions and dreams. When Joseph shared his dreams with his brothers in Genesis 37, their jealousy caused them to hate him; as a result they sold him into slavery. Even still, the Lord was with Joseph and caused everything he touched to prosper. Joseph was a blessed man.
In Genesis 39, Joseph is very successful; he has been put in charge of the house of Potiphar.
Then Joseph comes into contact with the spirit of Jezebel – Potiphar’s wife. Joseph was handsome in form and appearance (Genesis 39 v 6). As a result, Potiphar’s wife begins to lust after Joseph.
Potiphar’s wife tried to seduce Joseph but he refused. Joseph was a just man. Potiphar’s wife could not handle the rejection; she refused to leave Joseph alone.
- The Jezebel spirit does not take no for an answer. Joseph refused to sleep with Potiphar’s wife, he said he did not want to sin against God (Gen 39 v 9). However, Potiphar’s wife continued to pursue him day by day. She was ‘longing for him’ this is what I mean by desperation. Every time Potiphar’s wife saw Joseph she would try to entice him. Joseph told her ‘no’ time and time again yet she continued to pursue him. The Jezebel spirit! #persistent #toopersistent #tooomuch
- The Jezebel Spirit will cause a man to flee, in Genesis 39 v 12 when Potiphar’s wife grabbed Joseph by his garment and tried to force him to sleep with her. The bible says that Joseph left his garment in her hand and fled and ran outside. The Jezebel spirit has that effect; it will cause a man to flee. Similarly in 1 Kings 19 the prophet Elijah ran for his life and went to hide in a cave because he wanted to get away from King Ahab’s wife, Jezebel! The Jezebel spirit will cause a man to flee.
- The Jezebel spirit is a controlling spirit; if it doesn’t get its own way then it turns on you. That’s exactly what happened to Joseph next. Potiphar’s wife’s could not control Joseph and get him to do what she wanted so instead she turned on him. She told Potiphar that it was Joseph that had tried to pursue her and when she said no he left his garment in her hand and ran outside.
- The Jezebel Spirit is a very manipulating spirit. Beware! This spirit knows how to play the victim. Potiphar’s wife managed to turn Potiphar against Joseph (Genesis 39 v 19). She made out like Joseph was the one trying to pursue her and make a mockery out of Potiphar and all that he had done for Joseph. Manipulation can be very subtle. This spirit loves to play the victim.
As a result of all this commotion Potiphar ended up throwing Joseph, his most trusted servant, into prison. Joseph was an innocent man, even when he was in prison, the Lord was with him. He was safe.
See no man has the power to hinder or manipulate God’s will.
Similarly when Elijah ran away from Jezebel in 1 Kings 19 he was hiding in a cave but God came to visit him there. The Jezebel Spirit will cause a man to flee to safety.
We need to recognise this spirit; it can be male or female. This spirit wants to exert control, it desires to get its own way – by any means necessary. It can twist a story to make an innocent person look guilty and make a guilty person look innocent. The Jezebel Spirit is skilled in the art of manipulation.
- You didn’t get what you wanted so you turned on the person? #jezebelspirit
- Caused commotion then it backfired and u tried to play the victim? #jezebelspirit
- Twisting people’s words to make yourself look innocent? #jezebelspirit
- Trying to get men to lust after you? #jezebelspirit
Desperation, manipulation and the spirit of lust! Jesus called the church in Revelations 2:20 The Corrupt Church. How many scandals did it take before it became The Corrupt Church? The end of Jezebel’s way was death. The bible says in Proverbs 14:2 that there’s a way that seems right to a man. But its end is the way of death.
God is calling us to be the Faithful Church. Revelations 3 speaks about The Faithful Church.
“Because you have kept my command to persevere I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth.”
God is not willing that anyone should perish but that all should come to repentance (2 Peter 3:9). God wants us to be the Faithful Church.
The Merciful God of Prophecy:
“The spirit of manipulation does not belong in My house, the spirit of jezebel does not belong in My House, I have given you time to repent and now I will make known to you the things that do not belong in My house. For there is nothing hidden that shall not be revealed, there is nothing done in the secret that shall not be shouted from the rooftop. Woe unto you should you not listen to my voice and heed to My command. Make this a place for My Glory to dwell. Says the Lord.”